Monday, April 20, 2009

If I were the curator, I would narrow down the focus for each site. I think that the common themes for the site are the proposed future changes and therefore, it is important to show this visually.

I think that each site should use the same basic guidelines however can be displayed slightly differently. i.e., BAM may more successfully be shown through the use of perspective images looking down the streets to show the many blocks of the site, where as Fulton Street Mall may use a combination of both.

I think the organization of the research needs to be clear. Images to represent the current state should be on the "blue wall" with corresponding future images in the back. If there are no future images for the particular site, dotted lines can be exhibited on the wall to show the sites potential, or if there is no potential, maybe it just remains as is, which may be the case for some of the historic buildings. I believe that using this language will show the ways the sites change and remain the same...

As for the time line, I think that it would be clear to run it below the street scape images somewhat independently. In order to keep it clear and coherent.

I also see the need for maps. I currently think it is very difficult to find our place in the exhibit/with just street scape images. I think that each site should have a clear map that prefaces it or maybe shown on the kiosks, with all of the information we are displaying (historic buildings, present buildings and proposed.) I believe that this will add clarity to the exhibition.

As for information gathered through surveys and interviews, i think that this could be added into the time lines of each site, i.e., "Mr. X's shop opened on Fulton Street, 1990" or "Mrs. Y moved into the neighborhood." Therefore it becomes more cohesive and does not look like we stuck a bunch of as found items on to a wall. For reference, we could place the surveys on one of the kiosks, but I think that the overall walls need to remain clean and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment